Instructor: Gary Witcher
Phone: 886-4559 (W) 882-2370 (H)
Course Description: Drawing and Painting is a basic course on
drawing and painting for beginners. The semester begins with basic techniques in realistic
drawing followed by painting techniques..
Course Objectives/Goals: This course is intended to help the
student develop the following:
1. an understanding that drawing involves observation and practice.
2. an ability to apply art fundamentals.
3. an awareness of various techniques, materials and subject matter.
4. application of the above to painting.
Required Text: Dodson, Bert. Keys to Drawing. 1st ed. North Light
1. Course time will be devoted to discussion and drawing/painting. Because of the studio
nature of the course, it is important that the student be present for each session. More
than two unexcused absences will drop student one letter grade for the course. Missed
discussions may be taped and studio projects may be completed outside of class, but the
student can never recover what has been lost in terms of critique, analysis and exchange
2. One completed drawing will be required at the conclusion of each of the first 11
sessions. Two completed paintings will be required for the final four sessions.
3. Final grade will be influenced by attendance, application of instructions, work habits,
demonstrated grasp of subject, punctuality with assignments.
4. The instructor reserves the right to alter the syllabus over the course of the
semester. Changes in scheduled activities will be announced in class; it is up to the
individual student to keep abreast of these changes.
A = outstanding work - all work completed satisfactorily and on time
B = high quality work - all work completed satisfactorily and on time
C = satisfactory work - all work completed satisfactorily and on time
D = passing - most work completed satisfactorily and on time
F = unacceptable and/or not completed work
1) introduction; fundamentals of art; knowing vs. seeing (chapter 1)
2) contour drawing (chapter 1)
3) artists handwriting; various media (chapter 2)
4) artists handwriting; various media (chapter 2)
5) artists handwriting; various media (chapter 2)
6) proportion: figure (chapter 3)
7) light (chapter 4)
8) proportion: architecture (chapter 5)
9) texture (chapter 6)
10) pattern; design (chapter 7)